Become a Community Medical or Dental Partner
If you would like to join VIM as a community partner, contact Salome Chauncey, Care Coordinator & Spanish Interpreter at firstname.lastname@example.org (541) 585-9018.
Along with more than 250 in-clinic volunteers, we also work with over 300 community partners. These medical partners see patients upon referral from VIM in their own offices and facilities. They are a vitally important “arm” of VIM, keeping our patients healthy and productive by expanding the care they receive in immeasurable ways. We couldn’t do our work without them and are most grateful for their support.
What would be expected of me as a community medical partner?
One of the things our partners appreciate about VIM is how thoughtful we are about our referral system. We appreciate the value of medical time and your willingness to work with us. Thus, we carefully rotate the use of our providers to keep our requests well-balanced throughout the community. With everyone doing a little, we can accomplish great things.
How are patients referred?
As a medical home, we follow our patients closely – before and after a referral. If we call you to request care for a patient, you can be assured that:
• We have completed a financial screening to determine that the patient meets our low-income, uninsured requirements.
• One of our medical volunteers has completed an evaluation that indicates the patient needs specialty care. This is due to the wide range of expertise from our in-clinic volunteers, and their ability to spend significant time with patients on their health assessment.
• Basic medical labs and certain imaging tests can be coordinated through VIM. Our resources are limited, but we will do our best to provide you with what you need.
• Prescription medications, except for narcotics, can be obtained by the patient through our charitable pharmacy.
• An interpreter can be provided, if needed, at no cost.
• Follow-up care can also be provided by VIM. If the patient needs physical therapy, periodic lab work, or other needs, VIM’s referral coordinator will help establish that care.
For more information on the referral process, please contact Salome Chauncey, VIM’s Referral Coordinator, by email or call (541) 585-9018.
Who else is involved?
Our community medical partners represent 43 specialties including:
• General and specialty surgery
• Dental care
• Physical therapy
What about fees?
While much of our community partner’s work is pro-bono, we do understand that in some cases the care provided is extraordinary. Our patients know that there may be a fee to cover materials and expenses. Once you agree to see a VIM patient, we ask that you work directly with the patient for fees and payment plans.
What about liability?
VIM's patients agree to be seen and treated under the Oregon Liability Waiver (ORS 676.340). This limits the liability of Oregon-licensed physicians, physician assistants, dentists, nurse practitioners, dental hygienists, and certain other health professionals for injury, death, or other loss that may arise from services they provide without compensation, except in cases of gross negligence. As a VIM community partner, we ask that you register with the state for the liability waiver and have your pro-bono patients fill out a consent form. The forms can be found through these links:
Fax the completed form to (971) 673-2670.
Fax the completed form to (971) 673-0684.