We love our volunteers. They are the heart and soul of our clinic, the power behind our work, and the reason we are able to care for patients without charge.
Every VIM volunteer has a desire to put their skills and talents to work to better the lives of people in our community, and we all benefit when they do.Each day of the week, 25 – 30 of our 486 trained volunteers fill a wide variety of positions in the clinic. These include:
- Medical volunteers who provide direct medical care to our patients.
- Non-medical volunteers who do the behind-the-scenes work that keeps the clinic running smoothly.
- Medical, graduate school, and college students who are completing internships through their work at VIM.
In 2011-12, our volunteers donated 21,640 service hours in the clinic, with an estimated value of $926,776. In a survey completed that same year, 90% of those who responded said they keep volunteering at VIM because of the satisfaction received from helping patients.
We also have over 340 community medical partners who extend our work in immeasurable ways. They represent 35 medical specialties and 64 clinics and facilities, seeing patients in their own offices upon our referral.
VIM may be a non-profit, but we run just like any other medical clinic. We pride ourselves in the level of care and service that we provide to patients. This means that we also have high standards for our volunteers.
Here’s what we ask of our in-clinic volunteers:
- Be 18 years of age, or older.
- Complete a volunteer orientation and job-appropriate training. In some cases this will be 8 – 10 hours total over a period of several days.
- Because of the effort we put into training our volunteers, we ask that you make a minimum six-month commitment to service at VIM.
- We also request that you be willing to make VIM a priority in your life, meaning you are able to volunteer on a consistent basis.
Time and again, our volunteers have said that the gratitude expressed by our patients is profound. VIM patients know what a gift it is to have healthcare, and their appreciation is one of the things that fuels every one of us each and every day.
To read more about volunteering at VIM:
- For medical positions, click here.
- For non-medical positions, click here.
- For medical, graduate school, or college internships, click here.
To read more about the benefits of volunteering, click here.
Join Our Mailing List
Clinic and Charitable Pharmacy Hours
Clinic & Pharmacy: 1 pm - 5 pm
Clinic & Pharmacy: 4 pm - 8 pm
Clinic & Pharmacy: 1 pm - 5 pm
Thursday & Friday
Clinic: 8:30 am - 12:30 pm
Pharmacy: 9 am - 1 pm
• New Volunteer Orientation is coming up on June 7 from 9:30 - 11:30 a.m. If you're interested in joining VIM as a volunteer, please complete this application first, and we'll send you more information.
• VIM will be the beneficiary of a screening of "Escape Fire: The Fight to Rescue American Healthcare" on Sat. June 8th at the Tower Theater, 7 p.m. Tickets are on sale now - more info here.
• Confused about how the Affordable Care Act will affect small businesses? This article refers to small nonprofits, but the explanation is the same for all small businesses.
• VIM's 2011-12 Annual Report is available and can be viewed here.
• VIM's Diabetes Wellness Program is underway. It's free, and it's fabulous! If you're a VIM patient with diabetes, this will change your life in a very positive and supportive way. Please email Joan if you'd like to sign up for the next class.
• Have you liked our Facebook page yet?