At VIM, we do our best to help you get well. We also guide you on how to care for yourself so that you stay well.
Here are some of the services we can provide at VIM:
- Chronic disease care. A “chronic disease” is an illness that doesn’t completely go away. It may be something you have had for a long time. Or it could be something that hasn’t been diagnosed yet, but you just don’t feel right. These include diseases such as: asthma, diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, depression and anxiety.
- Acute condition care. An “acute condition” is an illness that may begin quickly, or last for a short time. Examples are: sore throats, infections, colds, flu, skin rashes, etc. It also includes flare-ups of “chronic diseases,” such as an asthma attack.
- Preventative care. This type of care helps to prevent illnesses. It can also help to keep chronic illness from getting worse. Examples are: physical exams, screenings, flu and tetanus vaccinations, etc.
- Specialty medical care. A “specialist” is someone who provides care in one specific area of medicine. These include medical professionals such as: heart or bone doctors, surgeons, or physical therapists. Some of these professionals volunteer in the clinic. Others we may be able to send you to once you become a patient at VIM.
- Mental health assessment and counseling. Mental health has to do with your emotions and moods. If you are having problems with these, we can help determine why. We also have volunteer counselors that you can talk with. Mental health concerns include: depression, anxiety, bi-polar disorder, schizophrenia, etc.
- Eye exams and glasses. If you have trouble seeing, we may be able to help. Eye exams are done in the clinic. Prescription glasses are donated by the Lions Club LEAP Lab.
- Labs and other diagnostic testing. “Diagnostic testing” is what we call x-rays, blood tests, MRIs, etc. These tests help us determine what is happening within your body and what we need to do next.
- Prescription medications. VIM has a Charitable Pharmacy. This means we can help you get many of your prescription drugs for little or no charge.
- Minor surgical procedures. These are small "operations" done here at the clinic, such as: mole and wart removal, in-grown nails, etc.
- General women's healthcare. This includes: exams for women, pap smears, reduced fee mammograms and some types of birth control.
- Diabetes Wellness Class. Diabetes is a disease that can be managed when a patient understands how to take good care of themselves. At VIM, we have 3 different bi-lingual programs for patients with diabetes or pre-diabetes. Classes are free, usually one session a week for 4-6 weeks, and are held at the clinic.
We also do NOT provide the following. But in most cases, we can refer you to help.
- Chronic or long-term pain management
- Substance abuse treatment (including alcohol, drugs, or gambling addictions)
- Pregnancy care or family planning
- Fertility testing and counseling
- Paternity testing
- Drug testing for employment
- Workers Comp evaluation
- Disability evaluation
- STD or HIV testing
- Travel immunizations or medicine
- Elective or cosmetic surgical referrals
- Genetics testing
- Long-term counseling
- In-depth mental health exams